Overcoming Customer Objections In Sales Simply by Listening
This is part two of the objection handling series on the four steps on how to handle objections that you may face in your day to day business. In this post I will be sharing with you overcoming customer objections simply by listening and the steps I have developed the art of listening in sales that have allowed me to progress in my career. Overcoming customer objections correctly is a very essential part your business.
Look at it this way, your most important resource in your business is people both internally and externally. If your communication skills with people is not “on point” you will struggle in your business. So the goal is to master how to communicate with people on all levels.
In my opinion learning how to overcome customer objections is a trasferrable skill you cannot overlook.
That said let get started;
First Benefits of Listening
- You learn more: it is amazing how much you learn when you start listening more in a conversation than saying a lot. Most people think that the more you can talk over your prospect the more your point is made clear. That doesn’t work in any situation especially in a sales situation when the prospect clearly has concerns about your product or service. Talking over them is just enough for your prospect to say no to your business at any point in time during your presentation. So remain calm and sensitive to your prospect and give them the chance to express themselves fully. I have witnesses prospects literally close themselves into a sale without me even asking for the sale. Its amazing what silence can do for you. 🙂
- You become smarter: Think about it this way, a teacher in a class does most of the talking. At the moment when the teacher is talking at the class the teacher is not in learning mode. The students however if paying attention are learning everything the teacher knows plus whatever extra work they have done on the subject.
- People like you more: You become irresistibly attractive to people just by listening to them speak. When you are in a conversation with someone you have just met as a friend try letting them do most of the talking. They always leave the conversation thinking you are a great person to hangout with.
- You connect on a more deeper level: People buy from you because they know, like and trust you. When you learn to listen intently you connect on a deeper level. To get in tune with your prospect and to understand what moves them is a priviledge. It is also very powerful to be able to do that and listening helps you accomplish just that.
What is Listening
I dont’ think this part of the post should really be lengthy because as humans we instinctively know how to listen and connect. So listening is to be intentional in paying close attention to someone to learn from them and be in tune at the same level. Reason is this;
your prospect may not be saying what they are really saying.
When you are in tune however you are able to know when this is the case.
3 Steps to Listen to Overcoming Customer Objections
- Get in tune with the prospect. By listening intently and making it a point to deliberately listen to your prospect when they are speaking. Do not dismiss them mentally but be present in the very moment
- See what they’re saying by creating mental pictures. I use the word “see” because imagining what your prospect is telling you is a powerful way to get their point.
- Take Notes. Also learn to take notes of what they are saying. This is on of the hardest skill to learn but great results. So learn to take note and draft down the most important aspects points to your product or service.
Listening well will give you the ammunition you need to close the sale. And because you have listened well you are able to recommend a solution or point out the benefits of your product or service that would handle their concern.
P.S: Click Here If You Do Not Have a Step by Step System to Generating More Leads and Sales In Your Business on A Daily Basis